Because people need Jesus
Step 1: Prayer & Fasting
February 19-March 12
What is fasting?
“I continued fasting and praying before the God of heaven” Nehemiah 1:4
Christian fasting is the choice to go without food (though not water) or some other life-defining activity for some specific period of time in view of some specific spiritual purpose.
Fasting is God-centered. Among other spiritual motives, it may reflect an intense and urgent desire for God to move in a unique way to save lost people and build his church. That’s what we are fasting and praying for.
Having said that, God is the sovereign King and can do what He wishes when you meet with Him. You should be prepared for God to speak and move in your heart in any way, about any aspect of your life.
I’ve never done this. How do I fast?
- Start Small. Perhaps choose 2-3 days each week in which you eat dinner one day, then skip breakfast and lunch the next. Build up to where you do this for consecutive days. Be wise about this. Drink plenty of water or even fruit juices. If you have any medical condition that requires attention, check with your doctor before any more lengthy fast.
- Intentionally use your meal times (or the times you would be engaged in any activity you have adjusted for the fast) as focused times of Bible reading, meditation, and prayer.
- If for medical or other reasons, it is not or possible to fast from food, fast from something else. Choose from that which dominates your time, thought, or emotions: television, social media, hobbies, a relationship, etc.
- Consider how this might affect others, like family members, work colleagues, etc. It’s a beautiful opportunity to teach your children about the importance of seriously pursuing God.
- Then, communicate only with those who need to know. Jesus said, “When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. (Matt. 6:16-18)
- Follow the discomfort of your hunger to the throne of grace. When your stomach begins to growl or your mind yearns to check social media, etc., hear that as a signal to turn your thoughts to Christ, His Word, and His cause in the world.
Join Us for Churchwide Prayer
You’re invited to pray with your church family each Wednesday during our prayer and fasting. Join us in the Chapel from 11a-1p on February 22, March 1, & March 8 for this special time of prayer.
Step 2: Prayer, Gospel Conversations, and Invitations
March 13-April 9
Since we’re praying and fasting because people need Jesus, we encourage you to pray for and engage personally with specific people during these days. Pray for the Spirit to draw them to God; for opportunities to pray with them and for gospel conversation with them; and their positive response to an invitation to join you for an Easter worship service at Living Hope.
We’re praying for the Lord to give opportunities for prayer and gospel conversations with people who need Jesus. Some of these interactions will be with people you know, and others will be with people you have just met. Some of these moments will be expected, and others will be unexpected. The Lord knows.
We want to help you be prepared for whatever opportunity the Lord gives in response to our praying. Please join us for one of the following training events.
Gospel Conversation Training Sessions
Sunday, February 26 | 8 & 9:30a | Rec Center
Sunday, March 5 | 8 & 9:30a | Rec Center
Wednesday, March 8 | 6:30p | Room 206
Sunday, March 19 | 8 & 9:30a | Rec Center
Wednesday, March 22 | 6:30p | Room 206
Sunday, March 26 | 8 & 9:30a | Rec Center
Step 3: Come to Easter Services with Your Friend
Expect God to do mighty and wonderful things.
Easter Services at Hope
Living Hope Worship Center
Saturday, April 8 @ 6p
Sunday, April 9 @ 8, 9, 10:15, & 11:30a
Living Hope Chapel
Sunday, April 9 @ 10:15a
Sunday, April 9 @ 11a
Sunday, April 9 @ 10:34a